copying is forbidden

Saturday, April 2, 2011

the journal [part 1]

        It was exactly eight o'clock that night when they came. It never came across my mind that that night will change my life forever. When the doorbell rang, I was just about to go to my room to continue my project. On my way upstairs, I saw them, as my father invited them in. Two tall figures with the most solemn look I ever see. Even my grandfather look like a kid compared to them.
      I never imagined looking at them, back then that their visit will ever involve me. As I was continuing my project I heard my mother called for me. As usual, as fast as I can, four steps at a time, I came to the living room.
      "Oh, there you are Ariff. Meet Mr. Meade and Mr. Kennans. They're from the National Archeology Office. They want to show you something."
     It was weird, really. My mother was obviously faking her smile when she said that and the room was filled with a grim atmosphere. Have I done something wrong? Ransacking my head, I didn't remember anything that I done could ever land me in this situation. Am I in trouble?
     "You're Ariff? Ariff Zulkifli or better known as Paramount Ariff?" the man my mother said was Mr. Kennans asked. His eyes moving up and down, judging and analyzing me as he waited my answer.
     "Yes... Yes I am... Is there a problem?"
     "No son. We just want to show you something.." the other said as he took out a velvet box out of a black bag.
     What's up with these guys? I just couldn't understand. I took the box with him firmly told me to handle it with care as it was an ancient relic. Do you know what was inside it? Okay, I was kind of expecting something cool but then again they are from the National Archeology Office. Inside the box was just an old book. The book, when I closely inspected it, was in fact a journal.
       "Okay... I don't mean to be rude but am I suppose to do with this journal?"
       "So, it's a journal... Hm.." said Mr. Meade.
       I was taken aback. What was going on here? Suddenly, their eyes filled with interest. What did I just said?
      "So, you understand the writing on that book?"
      "Don't you???"
     "Here's a deal. We will pay you tremendously if you kindly translate that journal for us."
     "The Nation's future may rest in your hand."
     With that, they excused themselves and leaving us, the whole family, estranged.
   I was dumbfounded. After they left, my parents bombarded me with questions that even my brilliant mind can't answer them. I can't understand what's going on either. Well my parents seem not to be satisfied with my answer but still they let me go. Up in my room, I tried to put my thought together. What's so important with the journal and more importantly, why, of all people, they choose me to translate it.
     The next day, I went to school as usual. Along the way, I noticed some weird guys watching me. Or was it the journal? Come to the think of it, maybe they were securing the journal as it may contain the future of our Nation, or so they said. The journal itself, I did not yet get the chance to inspect. It laid safely in the velvet box in my backpack.
      "Ariff, are you paying attention to what I said?"
     Dang it. I almost forgot I was still in class. Like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar, I can only give my most charming smile. “Sorry teach."
      "Quit smiling like that." As usual, still it's a mystery to me, most people just can't stand my smiling face. They, mysteriously, do what I want them to do. "Just don't let me caught you like that again. Come to the front and solve these problems."
      "Is it okay if I just say the answer here? It's such a bother to go to the front. Well for question 59 the answer should be x+y and for question number 60 it should be x=67439.0986 and y=87439.04204."
     "Hm?? God I can't stand this kid. Yes the answers are correct but will you mind to at least pay attention to my teachings. The others are putting you as their example."
      "I'm sorry ma'am. I don't intend to disrespect you neither to set a bad example. I am utterly regret what I had done." I gave her the puppy dog eyes.. I hate when this happen.
      "Yes Ariff. I know you didn't mean it. Will you just sit down so I can continue my teachings?"
      "With most respect."


     I finally reached the House of Wisdom. I traveled a long way to reach here. Now I can distinguished my burning thirst for knowledge. The city was as I expected. They even had lights without using fires or candles. It's a good thing I made my decision to come here.


      Do people have electricity back then? After reading some of the pages o the journal, I came to conclusion that whoever wrote this was an ace in knowledge. Adding to that, I thought he was the same age as me. If he really that brilliant, I wish to meet him somehow. It almost like a century needed to find someone like that. I mean, he was also major in sports like riding a horse, swimming, archery and... Soccer anyone???
     "Aw, come on Ariff. It's not like everyday we got the chance to play with the Paws at their own private soccer field. They said, we can only get it if we bring you with us. Seems like some international soccer scout will also be there if you come."
    "Mark, how many times do I have to repeat myself that I only play soccer for exercise. Beside, I'm quite busy this weekend. Mr. Howard demands are getting ridiculous day by day. Those problems were for physics students at Harvard if I'm not mistaken..."
    "Argh, again with the science freak. Are you an alien or what? Come to the think of it, what are you doing here for? I heard last summer you got offers to continue studies at Harvard for any course you choose. Really dude, you're without flaws.” Is that a sigh I heard?? 
    "Nope. Nobody is perfect. I can't... Ha, I can't sing! You know they paid me to stop singing last year. Man, I was the worst, not even a tune was right."
   "Hmph, but you compose zillion of songs already.”
   "Not that much... Argh!!! Will you stop it already! I'm only 17 for heaven's sake and for your information, am still a human being!!!"


    Why did they demand so much from me. I came here to distinguish my thirst for knowledge. Only that. Stop. I'm not that great as that Syafie guy. I'm just a kid. Today, I got a letter from my father. He's sending me out again. Thank goodness I finished reading all those books in the House of Wisdom. I couldn't believe myself that I had finish reading those mountains of books in one month. Wonder where he intended to sent me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment